Update: Both SM Entertainment and Erik Söderberg have clarified the issue. It turns out it was just a case of mis-communication.
Well this is a bit embarrassing. It turns out that EXO’s comeback teaser, which was removed from YouTube recently, is being accused of plagiarism.
Several artists noticed EXO’s teaser bearing a striking resemblance to their work.
They contacted SM Entertainment about the situation, but nothing was changed… so the artists reported the video on YouTube for copyright infringement.
As you can see from the side-by-side comparison, the person in charge of creating the teaser copied the Swedish artists’ work almost completely.
Looks like someone is going to get reprimanded.
Erik Söderberg, one of the artists whose work was used without permission, posted a video of the piece that was plagiarized.
Like it’s actually super embarrassing how the staff of SM Entertainment didn’t even attempt to hide their thievery.
Netizens and EXO-L are also furious with SM Entertainment. People are saying that EXO’s comeback, which was rumored to be on January 23rd, has been pushed back due to this controversy.
Here are netizens’ comments on the situation, translated by NetizenBuzz:
Source: Kukmin Ilbo via Naver
1. [+[+485, -7] won’t defend this just because I’m a fan. I hope SM handles this quickly.
2. [+[+440, -40]XO didn’t even make the teaser and they’re getting all the hate
3. [+[+371, -21]t’s because of this that EXO’s comeback is delayed… Their comeback’s on the 23rd and teasers aren’t even out yet.
4. [+[+343, -11] have no intention of shielding this. Come on, SM… I was really happy about the teaser being high quality too.
5. [+[+81, -6]gency makes the mistake, EXO gets the hate.
1. [+[+79, -1]ho even finds these things, it’s amazing
2. [+[+69, -1]nd EXO fans raged, “Why aren’t you using the money we pay you to pay for copyright rights” and “You’re using my money to plagiarize, how dare you make our oppas get hate” ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
3. [+[+64, -1]hey even copied the MBC Entertainment Daesang poster too, what’s up with the designers lately
4. [+[+46, -33]t’s exactly the same. If they want people to respect their copyright, they need to respect the copyright of others too.
5. [+[+12, -1]XO-L are right for once ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ SM is sucking the money out of EXO-L, they should be buying copyright with it ㅋㅋ