EXO recently attended the Star Wars event held in Seoul with the cast of the film, and there they were met with a negative crowd.
There were no EXO-L in attendance of the event. Only Star Wars fans were there, and they couldn’t care less about EXO.
When EXO said their greetings, there were no cheers or applause.
Instead, they got booed by the die-hard Star Wars fans.
It must have been difficult for the boys to be put through that. They’re professional though and they powered through.
After the event, one of the actors, John Boyega, sent out some tweets that were wildly mistranslated by Korean journalists, making EXO-L fume even more about the event.
John Boyega tweeted,
“Lord. Thinking to audition for EXO so I can join them and have an excuse to stay in Seoul. Actually, I’ll leave EXO alone they don’t need me stumbling around while they glide on the screams of their hardcore fans.”
Boyega’s tweets were interpreted as sarcastic by Korean journalists and then by fans.
Here is what the Korean journalists translated Boyega’s tweets as, provided by Yoon Seul Nim:
“Oh Lord. I feel like was at an audition for EXO. I feel like I need to ask permission to stay in Seoul. I just want to leave EXO and go by myself. There is no need for me to answer to the sounds of their fans and to fall over.”
Holy crap. That’s a grossly inaccurate translation by Korean journalists and netizens are eating it up.
Many other Korean news outlets wrote similar translations, and only a few retracted the misinformation soon afterward.
I think it’s because everyone was still viewing the whole situation in a negative light due to what happened at the event, but Boyega wasn’t trying to shade anyone. He was paying EXO a compliment.
We sincerely hope that EXO-L do not bash Boyega on Twitter because of this.
The whole thing was a mess for EXO. Here are what netizens and EXO-L are saying, translated by KpopKfans:
Pann: Bad acts of Star Wars and their fans
1. [+219, -8] If you watch the video of EXO saying hi, you’ll know that there’s no EXO-L at the event. Nobody cheers for EXO when they say hi.
2. [+217, -11] I seriously don’t understand why EXO has to be treated like this.
3. [+215, -6] The event was announced a few hours before it started. Most fansite admins didn’t attend the event although they could get the tickets because it was for the fans of Star Wars. Only one or two attended it. It’s so funny how they’re blaming EXO fans ㅋㅋㅋ
4. [+94, -5] They first attacked EXO fans by criticizing them. EXO fans are so pissed off right now. I hope this gets known. The actor and the fans are thoughtless ㅋㅋ Imagine EXO fans booing. The portal sites would’ve gone crazy and call them a national embarrassment. Don’t they think their booing is also a national embarrassment? There wasn’t even many EXO fans there. I don’t know what the actor was thinking ㅋㅋ
5. [+61, -2] What’s more annoying is that because of the Star Wars actor’s tweets, all worldwide fans of Star Wars turned into EXO antis ㅋㅋㅋㅋ Why are they blaming EXO? Shouldn’t they blame the event planner and Disney for casting EXO?
6. [+49, -0] What’s funny about Star Wars fans is that they look down on idol fans ㅋㅋ They’re also stans but they think idols stans are pathetic ㅋㅋ They also look down on EXO. If it wasn’t EXO, we wouldn’t have paid any attention to Star Wars. Lightsaber still would’ve came out nicely without Star Wars collaboration. EXO worked hard to promote as ambassadors despite busy comeback preparations and individual promotions but this is all we get… At least your domestic fans are less than us core fans.
7. [+49, -0] We’re all stanning people. Let’s not do this, Star Wars-ssis.
8. [+48, -1] They should thank EXO for promoting Star Wars instead.. tsk tsk